The goal of Humanities Engage is to foster a culture change in how arts and humanities departments, faculty, and doctoral students in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences envisage the broader importance of humanities Ph.D.s and the societal impact of humanistic training.
Discover Humanities strengths at the University of Pittsburgh:
- Humanities @ Pitt: centers of activity, innovative practices, diverse voices and spaces
- Humanities Careers, NEH Planning Grant 2018-2019
Learn more about the national conversation around humanities PhD professional development.
CGS NextGenPhD Consortium (2017)
- CGS summary of lessons learned from first cohort of NEH Next Gen PhD program (2017)
- CGS summary of previous work in Humanities PhD career diversity.
CGS PhD Career Pathways Project
- A large majority of survey respondents believe that their humanities PhD education prepared them well for their jobs.
- A large majority of survey respondents said that they would pursue a PhD in general or in the same field, if they had to start over again.
- Between humanities PhDs working in academia and elsewhere, there are more similarities than differences in key workforce skills and attributes.
A.W. Mellon Foundation, What Can You Do With a PhD? (June 2016)
Grossman, James, “Career Diversity Is Not New, But Let’s Get It Right This Time,” Perspectives on History (April 2015)
Kim, Joshua, "Defining Alt-Ac Before We Systematize Alternative Academic Career Guidance," Inside HigherEd (November 2018)
Larson, Zeb, "We Need to Systematize Alt-Ac Career Guidance," Inside HigherEd (November 2018)
Mintz, Steven, "The Humanities: A Status Report," Inside HigherEd (May 2020)
Patel, Vimal, "Rebranding the Ph.D," Chronicle of Higher Education (March 2018)
Parry, Marc, "The New Ph.D.: Momentum grows to rewrite the rules of graduate training," Chronicle of Higher Education (February 2020)
Pszczolkowski, Amy, "Advice and Encouragement to Humanities PhDs in Pursuing Diverse Career Paths," Inside HigherEd (November 2016)
Rogers, Katina, "10 Steps to Reform Graduate Education in the Humanities," Chronicle of Higher Education (December 2020)
Wood, L. Maren and Beatrice Gurwitz, “Who Prepares Humanities PhDs for a Nonacademic Search?” Chronicle of Higher Education (July 2013)
Allum, Jeffrey R., Julia D. Kent, and Maureen Terese McCarthy, "Understanding PhD Career Pathways for Program Improvement," Council of Graduate Schools (2014)
Bell, Nathan, Brent Bridgeman, Fred Cline, Julia Kent, Ross Markle, Patricia McAllister, and Cathy Wendler, "Pathways Through Graduate School and Into Careers," Council of Graduate Schools (2012)
Cassuto, Leonard and Robert Weisbuch, "Reforming Doctoral Education, 1990 to 2015 Recent Initiatives and Future Prospects," A Report Submitted to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (2016)
Loss, Christopher P., "Future of the Dissertation," Council of Graduate Schools (2015)
MLA Task Force, "Doctoral Study in Modern Language and Literature," Executive Summary (2014)
MLA Task Force, "Doctoral Study in Modern Language and Literature," Report (2014)
Staff of the Humanities Indicators, "The State of the Humanities In Four-Year Colleges and Universities (2017)," American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Wood, L. Maren and Robert B. Townsend, "The Many Careers of History PhDs: A Study of Job Outcomes, Spring 2013," A Report to the American Historical Association
- Versatile Humanists at Duke
- Humanities for the Public Good, University of Iowa
- Humanities PhD Project, University of Michigan
- CUNY PublicsLab
- Tulane Mellon Graduate Program in Community-Engaged Scholarship
- Mellon Humanities Ph.D. Interventions Project, Emory
- Reimagining the Humanities PhD and Reaching New Publics: Catalyzing Collaboration, University of Washington
- The "Living Humanities" PhD for the 21st Century, Fordham University
- Next Generation PhD @ Georgia State University
- PATHS at University of Chicago
- NEH Next Generation Humanities PhD Planning at Washington University
- African American Public Humanities Initiative, University of Delaware
Please contact the project leadership team for access to extensive further bibliographies and reading materials.